Pill Press Force Verification
The quality (weight or density) of a finished tablet or pill is directly related to the compression force applied to it during the manufacturing process. By monitoring and controlling the compression force within certain defined limits, it is possible to achieve better tablet quality. A tablet compression force monitoring system can be an in-line tablet quality assurance inspection device.
In the pharmaceutical industry, the last thing any tablet or pill manufacturer wants is for their product to disintegrate during transport to the customer. Each tablet must be subjected to the correct compression force to maintain its structure and achieve the desired hardness.
Some of the benefits of force control on tablet presses :
- Machine protection
- Protection of the tooling
- Tablet weight and density control
- Tablet height control
- Easier machine set-up and adjustment
- Process optimization with SPC (Statistical Process Control)
FUTEK has a unique approach to measuring tablet compression force on high-speed tablet presses. By using high precision load cells, tablet compression forces can be accurately controlled. To verify that each tablet is compressed correctly, an LCF505 universal sensor with tension base is incorporated into the mechanism that adjusts the main roller to measure the compression force.
FUTEK sensors are used to monitor and control research and development, scale-up and production activities of tablet presses and roller compactors.
How it works :
- An LCF505 series "Pancake" type force transducer equipped with a base for making tensile measurements is mounted between the linear actuator piston and the press force application roller.
- As the main roller compresses the powder into the press, the LCF505 measures the applied compression force.
- The measurements are then sent to a digital display (IHH500, IPM650) and/or viewed on a PC using SENSIT software.
- An amplified analog signal is then sent to the PLC controlling the compression force, which makes it possible to reject defective tablets.
- In addition, the SENSIT software can be used to record the measurements from the sensor for quality control purposes.